The most important thing you need to know about applying for a business visa is that it is not easy; however, there is a way to make the process significantly less difficult: working with an experienced Immigration Lawyer. If you are considering applying for a business visa, then you came to the right place. In this article, you will learn what you need to know about the process.

Applying for a Business Visa – What You Need to Know

If you are considering applying for a business visa, the first thing you need to do is determine which visa best fits your specific needs, goals, and circumstances. There are various U.S. business visas available, and each one has a specific purpose as well as specific requirements. If you know what you want from your business visa but do not know which of the available visas can provide it, then you should speak with an experienced Immigration Lawyer who can help you choose the right visa.

Listed below are the most popular U.S. business visas available:

  • B-1 Visa

The B-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows people to enter the U.S. temporarily to conduct business. Some business activities allowed under this visa are meetings with business partners, business events, and educational business conferences or conventions. In addition, B-1 visa holders can conduct research as well as be involved in legal negotiations. B-1 visas remain valid for six months and holders can apply for a single extension of six additional months.

  • E-1 Visa

The E-1 visa is designed for individuals who intend to come to the United States to conduct a substantial amount of trade consistent with a treaty the U.S. maintains with their home country. Areas of trade include but are not limited to services, products, tourism, insurance, international banking, technology, etc. To maintain the E-1 status, holders must conduct 50% of their trade between the United States and their home country. This visa initially remains valid for two years; however, holders can apply for as many extensions as they need as long as they qualify.

  • E-2 Visa

E-2 visas are non-immigrant visas designed for nationals and citizens of countries with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce or navigation. In addition to meeting the nationality/citizenship requirement, to qualify for an E-2 visa, you must:

  1. Have invested a substantial amount of capital into a U.S. business or be in the process of doing so; 
  2. Own at least 50% of the business into which you have invested or will invest; and 
  3. Intend to come to the United States to develop and actively direct the E-2 business.

These, however, are only the main requirements you need to meet to qualify for an E-2 visa. There are many more, and meeting them can be extremely difficult sometimes, so working with a skilled Immigration Lawyer is vital.

  • EB-5 Visa

You can obtain an EB-5 visa by making an investment in a relatively new commercial enterprise in the United States and making sure the business creates or maintains at least 10 full-time jobs for U.S. workers. Unlike the E-2 visa, the EB-5 visa has specific qualifying investment amounts. To qualify for this visa, you must invest either $900,000 (if the business is located in a Targeted Employment Area) or $1,800,000.

Are You Considering Applying for a Business Visa? Work with Experts

Applying for a U.S. business visa can be a difficult process. If you make a mistake in your application, it can affect the outcome significantly. In addition to being difficult and generally costly, the process of applying for a business visa is usually lengthy, so making sure your application is in its best possible shape before submitting it is critical. The last thing you want is to wait for months just to be told your visa has been denied.

This is where an experienced Immigration Lawyer comes in. If you are considering applying for a U.S. business visa, then you should schedule an initial consultation with Attorney Romy B. Jurado today to learn more about the process and determine which of the available visas is best for you. Call (305) 921-0976 or email [email protected].