Form N-400 (Application for Naturalization) is the application for naturalization by which lawful permanent residents can become US citizens. Overall, the naturalization process is one of the longest and most demanding proceedings in US Immigration. 

Accordingly, Form N-400 requires attention to detail and an extensive list of documents to be submitted within the application package. In this article, you will discover which documents naturalization applicants need to file Form N-400.  

What Documents Do I Need for N-400? – Step-by-Step  

Personal Information 

The first step to apply for naturalization is reuniting the personal information required to file Form N-400.  

One of the primary requirements to file Form N-400 is to have at least five years of lawful permanent residence in the United States. For individuals applying based on a marriage to a US citizen, the required period is reduced to three years.  

When preparing the application, the applicant must provide in-depth information concerning his/her address history, employment history, and travel history (referring to time spent abroad). 

If the applicant has changed his/her name, it is crucial to submit evidence a court-issued document showing the applicant’s name has legally changed. 

Proof of Lawful Permanent Residence in the US (Green Card) 

When applying for naturalization, applicants must have a valid, unexpired permanent resident card (green card). Generally, the applicant will need to submit a photocopy of the document within the Form N-400 document package. 

If the applicant needs to replace or renew a green card, it is crucial to file Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) and obtain a new green card before applying for naturalization. 

Once the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receive the application, they will issue a receipt letter confirming the applicant has successfully filed Form N-400. It is crucial to keep a photocopy of this receipt letter to be used in place of the green card photocopy submitted with the N-400 application. 


As expected, filing Form N-400 involves several fees. When filing the Application for Naturalization, applicants will pay a $640 filing fee plus an $85 biometrics services fee.  

All applicants who are 75 years of age or older are exempted from the biometrics services fee. Also, individuals applying based on qualifying military service pay no fees. There are fee waivers available for applicants who can prove financial hardship, so make sure to consult with an expert immigration attorney. 

Marriage Status Documentation  

If the applicant has even been married, he/she must submit a copy of their current legal marital status document, such as: 

  • A marriage certificate 
  • A divorce or annulment decree 
  • The death certificate of a former spouse (if applicable) 

Applicants filing Form N-400 based on the marriage to a US citizen must include additional items, such as: 

  • Evidence of a bona fide marriage (i.e., the marriage was entered in good faith) 
  • Evidence that the applicant has been a US citizen for at least three years  
  • Evidence showing any previous marriages were terminated (if applicable) 

Selective Service Registration  

This specific topic applies only to males who have lived in the United States at any time between their 18th and 26th birthdays. The requirement encompasses US citizens, permanent residents, refugees, asylees, and even undocumented aliens – not people who lived in the country under nonimmigrant status. 

Do You Want to Ensure a Successful Outcome When Filing Form N-400? – Work with Attorney Romy B. Jurado Today 

Applying for naturalization to obtain US citizenship may be a demanding and time-consuming task. Waste no time with uncertainty – call Attorney Romy B. Jurado today at (305) 921-0976 or email [email protected] to schedule a consultation.