When someone applies for a marriage green card, the process includes an interview conducted by USCIS officials to verify the validity of the marriage. In this article, you will discover the marriage green card interview questions 2021.
Marriage-Based Green Card – What Is It?
As provided by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a foreign spouse of a US citizen is eligible to obtain a marriage-based green card, either a CR1 visa or an IR1 visa.
The difference between these types is simple. If a couple has been married for less than two years, the applicant will receive a CR1 visa. Instead, if a couple has been married for more than two years, the applicant will receive an IR1 visa.
Marriage Green Card Interview – Understanding the Purpose
The process includes an interview conducted by USCIS officers that will verify the validity of the marriage. These officials are specifically trained for the task, and they normally ask several questions related to the life, history, and routine of the married couple.
Plus, the officials will also verify all forms and documents submitted by the applicant to ensure full compliance with USCIS requirements.
Marriage Green Card Interview Questions 2021- Initial Proceedings
After applying for a CR1/IR1 visa, the applicants will be interviewed usually 3-4 months after the petition is filed with the USCIS. During this period, it is recommendable the couple takes time to reminisce and review their relationship in entirety.
The interview process begins once the applicants walk into the USCIS office on the set date. Once the couple has entered the building, the officials will look at the details in each partner’s demeanor up until the time they leave.
Then, the applicants will be placed together in an interview room. A designated officer will ask questions for both partners, either to be answered individually or as a couple. Typically, most interviews last an average of 15-20 minutes.
Marriage Green Card Interview Questions 2021
In the following topics, we will cover the most common questions asked by officers during a typical CR1/IR1 visa interview.
Questions About the Phase Before Marriage
Usually, officers begin by asking how the couple met, subsequently asking questions related to how the relationship started and progressed until the marriage. Common questions include:
- How did you meet?
- Where was your first date?
- How long was it before you decided to get married?
- Who proposed to whom?
- When did you meet each other’s parents?
Questions About the Wedding
Married couples should be able to account for many details on their wedding day. Common questions include:
- How many people attended the wedding?
- Did each of your parents attend your wedding?
- Where was the wedding held?
- Who were the people chosen as bridesmaids/groomsmen?
- Where did you go for the honeymoon?
Questions About the Relationship
Here, officers will usually dig into some intimate details of the couple’s daily life. Common questions include:
- When is your spouse’s birthday?
- When is your anniversary?
- Do you plan on having children?
- Do you have any children from previous relationships?
- Do you spend a lot of time together?
- Who is responsible for taking care of the home’s finances?
- Do you attend church?
Questions About Friends and Family
Normally, officers ask questions associated with the couple’s friends and family, such as:
- How often do you see each other’s families?
- Do you have a good relationship with each other’s families?
- When was the last time you saw them?
- How many brothers/sisters does your spouse have?
- Does your spouse have any nieces or nephews?
- Do you have mutual friends?
- What is the name of your spouse’s best friend?
Questions About Education and Employment
CR1/IR1 visa applicants should expect questions about the couple’s education and employment during the interview, such as:
- Where did your spouse go to school?
- Does your spouse have an advanced degree?
- What did your spouse get a degree in?
- Where does your spouse work?
- How long has your spouse been working there?
- Where did your spouse work before?
We Can Help You Succeed in Your Marriage-Based Green Card Interview
During a CR1/IR1 visa interview, it is crucial to demonstrate that you and your spouse have a serious relationship and fell in love before being married.
In this sense, an experienced immigration attorney can help you to prepare the necessary documentation and clarify the process to ensure you are prepared to answer whatever questions the USCIS may decide to ask.