Once a foreign-born permanent resident becomes a US citizen through naturalization, he/she may bring siblings from abroad and obtain a green card for them. Eventually, they may also become US citizens.  

Nonetheless, sponsoring a sibling to obtain a US green card requires attention to several legal procedures. In this article, you will discover the period required to bring a foreign sibling to the United States. 

How Long Does it Take to Sponsor a Brother to USA? – Step-by-Step 

Filing Form I-130 with USCIS  

Filing Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) is the first step to help an eligible brother or sister immigrate to the United States and obtain lawful permanent residence. In essence, this petition applies to petitions to bring both blood relatives and foreign spouses from abroad.  

The form has nine distinct parts, containing over a hundred questions. It is important to note that while some of these questions are compulsory, others are not or do not have applicability for a specific case. 

Applicants must pay attention when filling out the first part of Form I-130 (Relationship) to guarantee they will identify the beneficiary as a sibling (brother or sister). Additionally, it is necessary to inform whether the sibling is related by blood or adoption. 

It is fundamental to understand that a sibling not related by blood may also be eligible for a family-based green card – but make sure to clarify the fact when filling the petition. 

Proceeding to the National Visa Center  

Once the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approve the application, they will send notice by mail. Typically, the agency takes between two to five years to process this type of family-based green card application. 

Applicants are often required to wait until the priority date becomes current and keep checking the visa bulletin dates. Then, after the priority date becomes current, the applicant should proceed to the National Visa Center. 

Filing the Affidavit of Support  

Upon visiting the National Visa Center, the applicant must file the affidavit of support with other required documents. It is vital to pay attention at this phase, as brothers or sisters under 21 need special attention. 

Depending on the beneficiary’s situation, the sibling may be protected under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) and considered eligible to attain permanent residence in the United States. 

Each case is different, so it is crucial to consult with an expert immigration attorney to assess the particularities associated with the application. After going through the formalities at the Visa center, it is time to proceed to the interview. 

Attending the Interview  

The applicant must attend the interview at the scheduled date, arrive on time, and provide solid answers to all questions asked during the process. Once the interview is concluded, USCIS will either approve or decline the application. 

If the petition is accepted, USCIS will issue a family-based visa for the applicant’s beneficiary – in this case, a brother or a sister. Then, it is possible to bring the sibling into the country and wait until USCIS mails his/her green card to the address provided on the paperwork. 

Do You Want to Sponsor a Sibling to Enter the US Legally? – Work with Immigration Attorney Romy B. Jurado Today 

If you want to ensure the best outcome when applying for a green card on behalf of a loved one, waste no time with uncertainty. Call Attorney Romy B. Jurado today at (305) 921-0976 or email [email protected] to schedule a consultation.