Boasting the world’s largest economy with a variety of highly developed segments, the United States offers fertile soil for international companies and entrepreneurs seeking to conduct business in the country. 

Is it possible to get a green card by opening a business in the United States? Read on to find out.  

Can You Get a Green Card by Opening a Business? – An Honest Overview  

The United States Citizenship and Immigrant Services (USCIS) is responsible for administering the US immigration system. 

Based on a variety of requirements, the USCIS offers several visa options for entrepreneurs, investors, and business professionals. Determining whether a foreign national can get a green card by opening a business requires an in-depth assessment. 

Certain types of investor visas require applicants to invest in a commercial enterprise in the United States as part of the criteria set forth by USCIS. However, this factor applies to specific visas, which means simply opening a company in the United States does not affect its owner’s immigration status. 

US law does not restrict the ability of non-US residents to open a business in the country. As long as the aspiring business owner meets the basic requirements to form a company, it is not necessarily hard to materialize a business project in the US.  

Obtaining a green card by opening a business only applies to specific visa categories. Make sure to consult with an expert business immigration attorney to find the best option for your case. 

Can You Get a Green Card by Opening a Business? – Feasible Solutions 

The USCIS has two main visa categories applied to international investors – the E-2 Treaty Investor visa and the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program. 

The E-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals from treaty countries to be admitted to the United States based on the investment of a substantial amount of capital in a business enterprise. 

Applicants can either start a new business or invest in an existing company. After receiving E-2 status, investors have a maximum initial stay of two years with the possibility to request unlimited extensions.  

The USCIS can grant extensions in increments of up to two years each, which allows many E-2 visa holders to stay in the United States indefinitely.  

On the other hand, the E-5 visa is an immigrant visa that allows investors to apply for a green card upon investing the required amount of capital in a US-based enterprise and planning to create or preserve at least ten full-time job positions for US workers. 

The eligibility standard for this visa is considerably higher than usual, as the current minimum investment amount for EB-5 applicants is $1,050,000. For applicants willing to invest in a Targeted Employment Area (TEA), the minimum threshold is $800,000. 

In both cases, the best approach is to work with a well-versed attorney to identify an optimized business immigration strategy.  

Do You Want to Get a Green Card by Opening a Business in the US? – Immediately Contact Attorney Romy B. Jurado 

With years of experience helping foreign entrepreneurs achieve their goals, Attorney Romy B. Jurado is willing to help you succeed. Contact us today by calling (305) 921-0976 or emailing [email protected] to schedule a consultation.