In recent years, the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa became one of the most popular options among foreign entrepreneurs who want to live and work in America temporarily to establish a business.

Many of these individuals under E-2 nonimmigrant status might be interested in pursuing education in the United States, especially considering American universities offer a flexible academic environment and US degrees have an excellent reputation.

However, is it possible to pursue a US education under E-2 status? Keep reading to find out.

What is the E-2 Visa? – An In-Depth Explanation

The E-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa that permits eligible nationals of a treaty country to enter the United States upon investing a substantial amount of capital in a US business enterprise.

As provided by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the term “treaty country” refers to a country:

  • With which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation, or
  • With which the United States maintains a qualifying international agreement, or
  • Which has been deemed a qualifying country by legislation

Also, certain employees of an E-2 investor or a qualifying E-2 company may be eligible for entering the United States legally under the same status.

USCIS allows foreign individuals under E-2 status a maximum stay of two years initially. If one succeeds when applying for a request for an extension of stay (or changes of status), it is possible to extend the period of stay in increments of up to two years each.

As there is no limit to the number of extensions an E-2 investor may be granted, it is possible to stay in the United States under E-2 status for a long time.

The substantial investment requirement is the hardest to meet. On the contrary to other popular investor visas, the E-2 visa has no fixed minimum investment amount. Therefore, USCIS approval of the amount invested by an applicant will depend on each business proposal.

As it is plain to see, determining the right amount for an E-2 investment requires a strategic approach, which is something only an experienced business immigration attorney can provide.

E-2 investors and employees may bring a spouse and unmarried children under 21 to live with them in the United States. Accordingly, the spouse and children of an individual under E-2 status must seek the same classification as dependents.

If approved, the dependents are generally granted the same period of stay as the sponsoring E-2 investor or employee.

Can I Study While on E2 Visa? – The Verdict

Although individuals under E-2 status are allowed to pursue an education in the United States, they cannot enroll or join full-length educational programs at colleges or universities. Therefore, it is possible to study only with distance learning programs and shorter courses.

On the other hand, the dependents of an E-2 visa holder are free to study while living in the United States.

As a consequence, a spouse or child of an E-2 investor or employee can engage in any level of education in any US educational institution, either public or private. Ultimately, the study period allowed is limited to the validity of the dependent’s visa.

E-2 Treaty Investor Visa in Florida – Immediately Contact an Expert Business Immigration Attorney

The E-2 visa offers excellent opportunities for those smart enough to seize them. Waste no time with uncertainty – call Attorney Romy B. Jurado at (305) 921-0976 or email [email protected] to schedule a consultation.